This chapel, dedicated to Saint Ferréol, was erected at the end of the 13th century by the Benedictine monks of the abbey of Arles-sur-Tech (canonically dependent on the great abbey of Moissac). Following the murderous wars of the Albigenses, fragments of relics from Saint Ferréol were hidden in reliquary busts dating from the 18th century. The chapel became a sanctuary; a number of ex-votos have attested to the grace and protection obtained, thanks to the intercession of Saint Ferréol. In 1975, a fire broke out which damaged the annex buildings. During repairs to the roof, the protective signs which adorned the Genoese (dating back to 1721,1722 …)
Were identically re-constructed. This sanctuary, in this special location, continues to be a place of peace and serenity. Every year, on the morning of September 18th, the day of the “Festa Major”, Cérétans continue the old tradition of the pilgrimage to the hermitage of Saint-Ferréol. At dawn, lamps and lanterns weave along the path up the hill.